July 26, 2010

Pulmonary Embolism








So the evening after the car fun previously posted, my usual pleurisy came back. What wasn't so usual was that I had it a couple of weeks ago and it doesn't come back for at least 5 months, so I was a little concerned. By the time I was getting the tires changed out at Costco my breathing was worse and my back was hurting. Shortened story; slept a total of 2o minutes that night due to pain, couldn't breathe at 7:00, went to the clinic I work at to get a chest x-ray, traveled over to McKay Dee for a CT Chest with Contrast. Twenty minutes following the CT a radiologist came to the room saying they were keeping me right where I was and informed JD and I that I had a huge embolism in my lung with quite a bit of surrounding necrosis and that I wasn't going anywhere for a while. I was taken by wheel chair up to the CVTU where I got to stay for the next 5 days.

I had many IV's, needle sticks, shots, pills, and so on. My heart rate the first few days stayed right around 130, oxygen in the low to mid 80's, blood pressure all over the place and so on. If anything, I learned that it is a huge blessing to have a medical background and know what is going on, but it is also a bad thing at times where not wearing glasses so you can't read your monitors is a very good idea too. I came home with a mini pharmacy. I hurt off and on, breathing is improving, and I will hopefully get a release to work in a few weeks. Right now I just go and see the doctor twice a week and get my blood and breathing checked until my blood balances out and my breathing stops sounding like rice krispies.

JD is considering changing careers and taking the path of CNA. He has learned the value of lotion; how to clip nails, towel dry hair, blow dry hair, kind of straighten hair, put on TED hose; transport, turn on and off oxygen tanks, read stats and know if they are too high, too low; tuck in bed, help out of bed, what to say and what not to say when Nattie is on drugs and so on.....he has been amazing.

We both feel way blessed that things were caught before they turned fatal and that we were helped by so many family, friends, and staff that helped me to get well enough to go home and stay there. The next 6-9 months should be interesting and an adventure, but in answer to the question the hospitalist asked me before discharging, "Outside of the physical maladies you are feeling right now, how do you feel." I was taken aback when I could answer that I feel more like me and healthier than I have for quite a while as in months, and that is one of the greatest blessings and gifts I could ask for.

3 comments:

  1. Holy crapola! I cannot believe that! I am glad things are on the up and up, but what a set back. I love you very much, and I am very glad you are alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I now understand why you said it was a long story. I am so sorry. (honestly I hardly understand what you are talking about with all those technical terms) I am just glad you are home now and doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Natalie...your blog is so pretty! :) And I love the pictures of the experience...the arm one I recognize!!! :) I'm SO glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete