March 1, 2011

Learning to Breathe

While this is the title of an excellent Switchfoot song, it has been my theme this week....ok maybe longer than that, but there was a new turn to the Chronicles of the Right Lung recently. I found out I have asthma, more noticable when induced by exercise! Now some have been saying: that stinks, I am so sorry. To me, however, this is fantastic news! It isn't a life threatening state like my PE was, it isn't a chronic pleurisy like my Tietze syndrome in the upper right lung, it isn't the genetic defect that makes my body enjoy making embolisms to send to my lung to cause havoc, it is TREATABLE. Not only that, but the treatment is EASY. I thought I was just out of shape or that my lung was still very unhappy when I was running this week after finally getting permission to exercise again from my doctor. I was wheezing more than normal and coughing more than normal and long story short, I bumped into my doctor with the next day remnant of these symptoms and he rolled his eyes, stated what he said was obvious, and now I have an inhaler. Friends, family, this inhaler has changed my outlook on breathing. I only wish I had known it was ok to breathe while doing things, or I would have been using this wonderful medication back in junior high. 1-2 quick puffs 30 minutes prior to activity and I can breathe while I do stuff! It is SO much fun!

YAY FOR ASTHMA!!!!!

1 comment: