May 23, 2013

Coast Trip Day 3: Coos Bay to Crescent City

The sun came out today! We loved driving down the coast from Coos Bay.  We stopped at Cape Arago and saw a ton of sea lions basking in the sun and playing in the water. Arizona Beach is unique because it has black sand, you have to cross a small river to get to it so I had to go solo and take a picture since JD didn't want to take his shoes off (I always wear flip flops when at the ocean). We also make several stops in Samuel H Boardman State Park that included Arch Rock.  We relaxed on Harris Beach State Park for a bit before crossing the border into California.  I love the Redwood Highway, while they are not old growth trees, it is still fun to drive on a highway lined with younger Redwoods.  We went straight to the National/State Park Visitor Center to get some maps for our Redwood adventure and then followed with going to Battery Point Lighthouse.  I had been watching the tide and knew we needed to get over there quick, the lighthouse is only accessible when the tide is out, but we were more interested in the tidepooling by the lighthouse.  We saw crabs, hermit crabs, star fish, and other fun things.  I wish I were has talented as JD at balancing and hopping around rocks.  I had to go very slow and even then I wasn't super stable.  After dinner we went to Crescent Beach and watched surfers (yes we are now in California) and the sun set.  It was super pretty and the weather was great.


No comments:

Post a Comment