September 19, 2013

Oregon Zoo

Allie and I had a great time taking Porter to the zoo for his first time, not that he will remember it, and let's be honest, it was really so I could get out of the house with my friend, but still....

The Oregon Zoo is part of Washington Park so all the animals are basically set in a big forest in the Northwest corner of Portland.  Occasionally indigenous creatures will make their way into the animals' areas and have to be removed, the most recent I can recollect would be a California Beaver making it's way into the river otter habitat via the river and the zoo keepers having to catch it and release it back into Forest Park.  The reason I go into this is that I usually am not a fan of zoos because I think they are kind of sad, and while not as neat as the San Diego Zoo, I feel like the animals are pretty happy and content in their natural habitats here in Oregon.
Highlights from this zoo trip include:

  • The animals were awake and very active today.
  • The breast feeding area was actually an Asian Elephant view area, that was unique watching a giant elephant walk past us as I fed Porter.
  • Spending time with Allie, I'm glad that our husbands can do the whole school thing together so that we can be friends and do cool things like this.
  • The otters, I am a sucker for both the river and sea otters at this zoo.  They are so cute and fun.
  • Having a very content baby to walk around while I enjoyed all the animals.
After our adventure we went out to lunch and overall it was a very needed and appreciated day out.  I'm looking forward to doing Zoo Lights in December with the boys already.







No comments:

Post a Comment